Businesses are constantly evolving when it comes to eCommerce marketing. It is essential to stay on top of all the latest eCommerce trends to make your eCommerce marketing 2022 strategy relevant in today’s digitally-driven marketplace.
While they may not be the best source of marketing strategy, eCommerce statistics can give your eCommerce company a bird’s-eye view on the essential practices that will shape the future of eCommerce businesses. What are the top eCommerce trends in 2021?
You can adapt your campaigns to the information provided by eCommerce stats and achieve better results.
These are the most recent and most excellent eCommerce marketing statistics that 2021 has brought us.
Key eCommerce Statistics 2022
• It is projected that there will be up to 230 million online buyers in the United States in 2022 (Oberlo).
• More than 70 percent of consumers like to shop online because of free delivery (Deloitte).
• eCommerce is expected to make up 15.5 percent of the total U.S. retail sales in 2022 (eMarketer).
• Fifty-four percent of consumers discover brands through social media (Shopify).
• More than half of consumers (52 percent) avoided going to physical stores because of the COVID-19 pandemic (Statista).
eCommerce Marketing and Social Media
Companies invest more effort in social media campaigns that focus on sales and lead acquisition. Studying eCommerce statistics specifically focused on social media is one way to do this.
Social commerce is a term that describes the promotion of products and services via social media. It’s fast becoming an integral part of any business’s eCommerce Marketing Strategy. These eCommerce marketing statistics are essential for creating successful marketing campaigns if you run an eCommerce marketing agency.
- Social media influenced more than half (55%) of Gen Z’s fashion purchases ( eMarketer ).
Generation Z, aged 14-24 years old, is considered technologically savvy and more active in social media than any other age group. They are vital to determining the future eCommerce trends for 2021. This statistic should be a strong reason for businesses targeting younger customers to use social media to generate leads and sales.
2. Social media sales are expected to rise by 20% from 2019 ( Business Insider ).
Social media is an integral part of many people’s daily lives. It is not surprising that people would be willing to buy products and services they see on social media. It’s becoming easier to shop on social media platforms. Facebook Shops was launched recently by Facebook. This allows businesses to add shopping functionality to their pages.
3. 73% of marketing professionals believe that social media marketing is a great way to grow their business ( Buffer ).
Social media is a powerful tool for business owners and marketing staff. These eCommerce marketing stats 2021 show that social media marketing can work when done right. Promoting a business via social media is crucial for generating leads and, ultimately, sales.
4. Over 25 percent of Facebook users aged 25-34 used Shop Now to purchase a product in 2019. ( Statista ).
The best eCommerce marketing statistics for 2021 are based on consumer behavior and age. The “Shop Now” button is more prevalent among younger consumers. The same survey also shows that Instagram is second with 20.2 percent and Pinterest third with 12.5 percent.
eCommerce and Shopping Platforms
Online retailers are now in fierce competition. While Amazon is the leader in eCommerce, it does not mean other companies aren’t reaping the rewards of the eCommerce boom. These are some eCommerce statistics on where people shop online.
5. Amazon accounts for half the retail sales in America in 2022 ( Statista ).
Amazon has become a popular shopping destination for consumers. Amazon is a popular place to shop for products and services.
6. Walmart saw 385.5 million more website visits in September 2020 than the 294.5 million visitors it received in February 2020 ( Statista ).).
Walmart offers lower-priced goods to customers. Walmart has more stores than Amazon, with 4,743 in the United States and a large selection of products. Walmart is more popular than any other shopping mall with physical stores for people who prefer to shop there.
7. As of 2022, the top three online retailers in America by revenue are Amazon (386 billion), Walmart (67 trillion), and eBay (40.5 Billion). ( Statista ).
These huge revenue figures show that eCommerce companies have many opportunities today. Despite Amazon grabbing a significant market share, Walmart and eBay show that the marketplace isn’t as saturated as you might think. With the proper eCommerce marketing 2022 plan, even small businesses can earn a sustainable income.
eCommerce Trends in 2022
These are additional eCommerce marketing stats 2021 compiled to show emerging trends in the eCommerce world.
8. Nearly half of all shoppers used their mobile devices to shop online in 2020 ( Statista ).
Statista predicts that 53.9 percent of all eCommerce sales will be made using mobile devices by 2021. Online retailers and eCommerce businesses ensure that their shopping platforms work well on mobile devices. eCommerce marketing services integrate responsive web design to ensure that websites load quickly and look great on mobile devices.
9. Eighty-seven percent of marketers believe video content has a better return on investment. ( HubSpot ).
ECommerce companies and brands will likely follow the lead of social media platforms and content creators who are switching from blogging to video. Video ads, influencer videos, and even user-generated videos have proven to be highly effective in increasing brand awareness and revenue. This eCommerce marketing 2021 stat is an excellent indicator of video’s high ROI if you target a younger audience that prefers video.
10. 39% of consumers believe that sustainability and environmentally-friendly practices influence their purchasing decision ( GlobalWebIndex ).
Today’s consumers are more conscious about the environment than ever. Generation Z and Millennials are more environmentally conscious than ever before and prefer sustainable packaging brands. Companies offering eCommerce marketing services might consider adapting their products or services to meet these customers’ needs.
11. Eighty percent of businesses intend to use chatbots as customer support ( Business Insider ).
Artificial intelligence (AI), which businesses use to provide fast and reliable customer support, is being utilized by many. Chatbots are computer programs that mimic human conversation and can answer customer questions. Chatbots allow companies to provide customer support and enhance the customer experience at a minimal cost. An eCommerce marketing company can use AI to automate customer service for multiple clients.
12. Over half of buyers prefer local businesses. Seventy-nine percent of these buyers prefer local businesses ( Shopify ).
Despite the adverse socio-economic effects, the Covid-19 epidemic has helped strengthen communities and rekindle the sense of caring for one another. Some consumers believe that it is more beneficial for their communities to support local businesses than large brands.